December 10, 2010

Clay

I have news. Bloomsbury are to publish my novel, Clay, in 2012.

I began writing Clay two years ago. At first it was a collection of short pieces which drew on the South London streets where I live for inspiration. Slowly, a set of characters emerged, and I began to explore the way their lives might intersect. Last came the plot, growing out of the characters and the themes behind the book - ideas about nature and our relationship with it, about childhood freedom and neglect, and about what's really important in life.

Turning myself into a writer was like turning myself inside out; it was terrifying and painful, but necessary at the same time. Clay seems almost to have written itself during that process, and I'm profoundly grateful to my husband, Anthony, for giving me the space and the support to do it.