July 21, 2012

Tweet this

The British Trust for Ornithology have taken to Twitter and are publishing a series of useful bird  guides; I asked if they had anything that might help me in my ongoing quest to positively identify the song of a chiffchaff, and they sent me this video, with useful sound clips below.

I'm pretty good with birdsong now, so my mental block with the chiffchaff frustrates me – not only because they sound like their name, which is useful mnemonic, but also because they are great harbingers of spring. Unfortunately their call is not unlike the general chirping of sparrows and tits which we are surrounded by; it'll take seeing one actually singing to distinguish it in my head, I suspect, and given that it's both shy and fairly undistinguished that could be harder than it sounds.